Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

The volume just stopped working altogether, 4-5 years old

Customer Question

the volume just stopped working altogether
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 4-5 years old insignia looking for model now
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: ns lcd32
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happened...won't work on the dvd player and gets no volume with the regular "tv antenna" fuzz screen
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: anything else they should no? know?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

There are no settings/adjustments in the set that will stop all of the audio- when no sources produce sound it means your Mainboard has failed, or specifically- the audio processing has failed. In most cases this requires replacement of the mainboard- which is something that I can help you with.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute, plug the set back in ad fire it up. Check and see if there is sound and if not, try those steps up to three times and let me know what happens.

If there is still no sound, then please check the back of the TV for the FULL model number and postback on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If so then the Mainboard needs to be replaced. If you want to do this yourself, I need the full model to try and lookup the part for you. However if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $200 parts and labor for this repair which is generally not cost effective on a TV that can be replaced for the same money.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you having problems replying? Do you need further assistance?