Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Remote doesn't work and pushbuttons on side don't work but

Customer Question

remote doesn't work and pushbuttons on side don't work but tv is still on
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: 70 inch vizio , factory remote and i changed batteries
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no nothing works, the picture is fine and the volume is fine just no adjutments on volume and even the on off button doesn,t work.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: was watching football game last night and i tried to change channel during the 3rd quater. the remote was laying on the coffee table
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i know of.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-Do you have picture and sound on the tv right now?

-What is the age of the tv?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Are you having website difficulties that are preventing you from replying?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

-Who is your channel provider? directv or comcast or antenna or?

-What is the age of the tv?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the tv has been on since 7 pm yesterday and volume is fine. the tv is 2 to 3yrs old
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
suddenlink cable
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Is there a suddenlink box with suddenlink remote? or does the cable line just go directly from the wall to the back of the tv (no box)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the remote came with the vizio tv and the cable comes into the house. other tv s are working just fine and the internet is working fine also
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

So, you are going to need to reboot the tv because the microprocessor is locked up. Here is what I would suggest:

-locate the POWER cord for the tv, and unplug it from the wall outlet (or back of tv).

-disconnect the suddenlink cable line from the TV tuner port on the back of the tv.

-press and hold the power button on the tv (not remote) for 20 seconds and release.

-plug in the tv power cord, the tv should come on, if not press power button. There won't be any signal but test the tv functions like volume, menu, channel.

-if the tv is responding, reconnect the suddenlink cable line to the back of the tv, signal should be restored.

Let me know how that goes and if we need to try something else or if the problem is resolved.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Remember, I will be here with you throughout this entire process. Unless there is something else you can think of, please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page before you go. Rating now does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will do but it willo be tomorrow when i get this done so send me a e mail so i can email back to you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

The only communications I can do as a tech is through this chat. Email is not allowed, but the site may send you some emails.

This chat will be here forever, so you can simply bookmark/favorite this page in your browser and return any time.