littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience:  Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.

I have a sharp aquas television, been in storage for 9

Customer Question

I have a sharp aquas television, been in storage for 9 months but seems in mint condition, trying to use it with an apple tv but am getting no sound through hdmi. have tweaked every setting possible....
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it's old. likely 6-7 years. will see if i can find model # Thank you!
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: tv menu works. have problems on all inputs. no source to try other than apple tv. (when tuned to channel 3 and getting static no sound either)
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing, just took the tv out of storage and set it up. picture is crystal clear, controls work, just no sound....
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: worked perfectly last november when went into storage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 month ago.

How old is the Apple TV please?

Is there other connections on the apple?what are they please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Apple TV is only a few months old--newest version. Not sure what you mean "connections on the apple"

OK earlier versions had more connections so you just have HDMI? OK and you ran this to the sharp good pic no sound if you try another input with HDMI to the TV does that work OK?do you have anything like that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just hdmi. perfect pic no sound on multiple inputs.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
model is lc-65se94u

No what I mean is do you have another input OF HDMI to eliminate the TV as the cause?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not, as I stated above

Also have you swapped the HDMI lead?

In addition to this reboote both the apple and the TV by unplugging both from wallpower take out the hdmi lead to the set wait 5 mins then replug the HDMI lead back in to the set then replug both back into wallpower

Let me know how that goes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i did these both already
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I have another approach, let's find out whether it's the TV or Apple TV another way. Go into your AppleTV menu, and locate the audio settings. It could be a problem with outputting Dolby, or it could be sending audio somewhere else. Take a look there and tell me if you see anything that looks suspicious.

At this point a reset would likely either solve the problem, or determine that the TV speakers have gone out from sitting in storage, which can happen. Storage isn't good for electronics. Go to System > Reset, then select Reset All Settings. Please tell me the results.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much but I actually did both of those things too already,...

Ok, it looks like we may need to fit you with some external speakers. Do you have computer speakers you can try? You'll need an adapter to go from the optical audio output to the speakers, click here and here. The speakers are way more likely to go out due to an amplifier fail, but the digital output works on a completely different circuit.

A soundbar is a more permanent solution, and they are fitted with optical inputs. You may want to use Best Buy's return policy, and test the optical output with it. If it doesn't work, you can return the sound bar. You don't need the above adapter if you get a soundbar.

I believe it will work, because you should be hearing static on channel 3. Since you aren't, the amplifier circuit likely went bad in storage.

Were you able to test the audio output on your TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was not but buying an optical adapter and external speakers would cost more than a new tv.

You can use any speakers you want. Pick up a pair of cheap $20 computer speakers and the optical adapter to test it. You can always return them.

If you want to pick this up later, we can. Please remember I work for free until you rate my service with 3-5 stars for my knowledge of work arounds and troubleshooting.