Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

Got westinghouse flat screen tv model dw46f1y1. Will not

Customer Question

Got westinghouse flat screen tv model dw46f1y1. Will not power up get red light on for few seconds then nothing. Any suggestions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-What "connections" did you re-seat?

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Are you having website difficulties that are preventing you from replying?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Mike, I re-seated the connections on most of the boards.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Are you a repair technician? If not, in your own words, describe your level of experience with electronics?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am a retired aircraft electrician from the Navy.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Are you the original owner of the tv and was this tv functional prior to this failure? or did you just pickup the tv second hand or something?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Original owner and prior to this there was no sign of anything going wrong with it.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Next step is to:

-visually check all the caps on the power board.

-test all the voltages on the power board multipin connectors during plug in / power on.

If caps are good and voltages are present, then it's most likely the Main board (board with all the audio/video jacks) that will need to be replaced. See the following page for possible match (board must match EXACTLY):

Remember, I will be here with you throughout this entire process. Unless there is something else you can think of, please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page before you go. Rating now does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a lay out for the voltages I should be seeing?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

They will be DC voltages, ranging from 3v, 5v, 12v, 24v. But with these OFF brand tv's there are no manuals, schematics, or tech support from the factory. Normally there are voltages printed on the board next to each pin. Since I can't see your exact board, I don't know if your's has voltages printed on the board. If you can find your 5v, 12v, 24v then you can assume the voltages are good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** try yours suggestions and let you know.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?