Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My tv continues to turn off and on and I can't understand

Customer Question

My tv continues to turn off and on and I can't understand why
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Samsung 55 inch led flat screen 2012
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes when tv stays on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 3 days now
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

What is the complete model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Un55fh603f
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, but messages are not instant, please allow me time to receive your response and compose a detailed reply

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thats okay, I just need a few moments to respond. When you continue replying, I have to start over each time.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, this tv is about at the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try this
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.

If looking to replace, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2bYR9cx or update to the latest 4k technology with even better picture quality for little more: http://amzn.to/2c2j8uP

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,