Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Igloos morning from Ohio who has a Akai Floir Model TV

Customer Question

Igloos morning I am Richard from Ohio who has a Akai Floir Model TV PT5299HD, it has been moved and now won't turn on, and the power button stays on red unless pressed
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Akai is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's 11 years old built May 2005 and the exact model is Akai 52 inch
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No picture but I know power is on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was stored in a storage area for 11 months until the government moved it to my permanent residence
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I open it a little and I see nothing from the lens when I pressed the power button
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Are you saying the TV will actually turn on (power button turns on the set), but there is no picture or sound?

If you use the original remote and press MENU, does the set's own MENU display?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TV won't turn on period, but the power button illuminates red unless depressed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No picture what so ever
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's like it's constantly in standby mode, and I can hear a buzz sound at the back of the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply. This indicates a failure of the Mainboard- or at least that the mainboard is locked up and this is not uncommon when these sets are unplugged for a period of time (unplugging acts as a catalyst to cause this board to fail).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to get any difference in response from the set?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing is on
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please elaborate.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Now there's no power light? Or the symptoms are the same?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I conducted te three time procedure
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The TV has electricity inside it, but won't turn on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Red blinking light now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For a few seconds now solid red
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that and this does indicate a hardware fault in the set. Either with the power board or Mainboard requires repairs. There aren't any quick fixes for this aside from trying to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. The average cost for this repair is in the $275-$350 range (depending on which board has failed) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

Alternatively, if you're a DIY type and looking to repair the set yourself, then reply back here and I will have a few checks for you to perform.
Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?