Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  I am a member of The Society of Broadcast Engineers for a local CBS station

Whenever my house power goes out, I have to unplug the tv

Customer Question

Whenever my house power goes out, I have to unplug the tv for about five hours before it will reset. This last time it won't power up. I have it connected to a surge protector and the other three devices connected are fine including the surge protector. Is there a manual reset inside? I have a Panasonic TH50PZ85U plasma.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Panasonic TH50PZ85U plasma. I tested the power cord and it is fine and I've plugged it directly into the wall to no avail.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I have no power to the tv. Nothing works.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been going on for about 2 years, but it always reset within about five hours after unplugging it when my house would lose power.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: You know everything that I know :)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. You can initiate a reset on most TV's by removing the power source then pressing and holding the power button for 30 seconds to one minute. I might also suggest you plug it into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) like you would plug a computer into. That would give you time to turn the TV off when the power goes off and will also absorb any power line dips or spikes that may be causing the problem.