Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Have a series 5000 tv-cannot and get it to turn on

Customer Question

Have a series 5000 tv-cannot and get it to turn on regularly-hooked to directv-has been working for 2 years and now it does not work- new batteries in both remotes, factory and Directv. when you hit the on button, the set "chimes" like it will respond but it shuts off. You can see light shining from inside the set, but it ultimately goes out in a few seconds and you're left dead in the water. The Directv remote will work on three other Samsung sets we own. The set model is UN32F5000AFXZA, and the ser.# is Z6M73CFD200859X.
HELP, and thanks,
Gene
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Gene, does the tv respond any better to the onboard button (on the tv itself)?
Does it seem like you have to press the power button several times before it will eventually come on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It does the same thing with the power button on the TV.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it we have to press the power button many times before it will come on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, Gene.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $200 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?