Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I haves 8 year-old Samsung do hls6186w thats keeps turning

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I haves 8 year-old Samsung do hls6186w thats keeps turning itself off after 20 sec pr less
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: About 8 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Does Station long enough to check menu
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Stay on long enough
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It happen a few years agp and stopped now it started backnwithen a few days ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me what lights/indicators you see on the front of the tv?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All or sometime none
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I need specifics, please. There are lights on the front of the tv, I need to know exactly which ones you see, what color, what pattern, etc

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Green lamp
Stand by-red
While the tv is playomg there's not lights
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

But while it is off, are those lights all on solid?
Any pattern if flashing (fast, slow, 3 times, pause 3 more, etc)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** I need specific details, please.

Which ones are flashing? What is the pattern to that flashing?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi.. I paid $5 plus $24 for Answer and you didn't help me at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are3 lights on the front panel stand by , power,lamp, all 3 are blinking when the TV cuts off
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You paid the agreed upon amount to the site to correspond with me. I've asked, 4 times, for specific information which is necessary to diagnose the problem. Without that information, I cannot give you an accurate answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have given ypu the informationaybe you're not getting it.. plz tell me what ypu need again
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I am asking about a specific pattern to the lights,

You have 3 lights:

Exactly what is each one doing: what color, and are they solid, or flashing? If flashing there will be a specific PATTERN to it, meaning it will flash a certain number of times, pause, and repeat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lamp flashing green. Standby flashing green.. power red.. all flash .. . ... .. ....
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for confirming, that is what I needed to know.

That does unfortunately mean a hardware failure, specifically it is a problem with one of the power supply components.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is significantly past its service life at this point, and this dlp technology has been obsolete for over 6 years now.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming parts can even be found. Keep in mind that even if you fix this issue, it will not extend the life of the tv significantly, other components like the dlp chip, light engine components, etc will fail sooner than later and need more expensive repairs as well as ongoing lamp replacement costs.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. I replaced the control tv board and its still doing the same thing.. I did notice the new board has 3 red light the glow when the board is powered old previous board did not show any red lights when powered on
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

When did you replace that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The p/n listed on the board is as followed BP63-07742A.. 3 flat red led lights between the white and black cable
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

WHEN did you replace that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Prior to that the tv worked for 2 day straight after cleaning 'all parts .. now back To THE same things, cuts of withen 5 mins or less
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

What prompted you to do that? That step was likely not necessary, the specific problem you had is indicative of a power supply issue, not a main board issue, and you've likely damaged the new board as well by replacing the incorrect part.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if it's the power supply do i replace the board or not
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Yes based on the error you are getting I would replace the PS, though as with all parts for this set they are tough to find, there is a refurb one here: