littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience:  Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.

Running dvr and dvd HDMI to Pioneer VSX-50 then out to tv

Customer Question

running dvr and dvd HDMI to Pioneer VSX-50 then out to tv via HDMI Out.
I have sound but no picture. No changes made just stopped on day.
All equipment is on an internal surge protector at the electrical box. Seems like the power flickered in the house before this problem occurred.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Sorry you're having trouble, digital HDMI boards are fragile, and when the power flickers, that's when they can go out, even with a surge protector. Fluctuations in power is what burns them up. You have an HDMI input board, and an HDMI output board. It seems like your output board is what has gone out.

When this happens, instead of buying a new receiver or paying for the repair (which can be done if you prefer, it's a pretty simple task), to work around it and never have a problem again is to connect your components to your TV, then use the optical output from your TV to your receiver. With this setup, anything that is plugged into your TV will come out the optical output, and will give your receiver up to 7.1 surround.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already used the work around and I am not satisfied with the quality. I want to fix the unit. Where can I get the part? Part number

Give me just a few minutes to locate the part...

Call 1-***-***-****
Between 9:00 AM 5:00 PM EST

That is their parts department. Unplug the receiver, and hold the power button on the main unit for about 10 seconds. Remove the screws that hold the top and side metal piece only. Do not remove any other screws. They are on the outer perimeter on the back, there may be two on each side. Once you remove the cover, look at where the output HDMI plugs in. That is the board that needs to be replaced. There should be a part number on it, in case Pioneer doesn't stock them anymore. If you have trouble getting the board from Pioneer, give me the part number and we'll see if we can locate one on Ebay.