Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Unable to get shaw remote 2020b0 to turn off tv, model

Customer Question

unable to get shaw remote 2020b0 to turn off tv
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: model rlded4633a rca shaw cable remote
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I bought the tv 3 years ago and have never been able to get the remote to turn off the tv. tried searhing codes but none work
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Will the tv respond to its own rca remote, or the onboard buttons?

Is your primary problem here with trying to program the shaw remote, or with the tv being unresponsive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the tv responses to itw own remote. I'm trying to get shaw remote to turn off/on tv and volume from that remote.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there should be a 4 digit code but unable to get one. used urc support as well but no codes work. Called rca but unable to get the right code. shawcable unable to give a code that will work
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

While it sounds like a reasonable request, in practice that is not so much the case, which is really a rca problem more than anything else.

The specific IR codeset for your tv is 10047.

It is possible, however, that no matter what code is used, your remote will not be able to control the devices you wish to use it with. Cable/satellite/AV Component manufacturers include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility. For the "off brand" tvs like rca, compatibility is more difficult as they rotate through numerous generic low quality manufacturers for parts so even 2 units of the same model may not respond to the same remote protocols. Rca also provides no support for their products in any form, which actually aren't even made by them it is an imported product that is badged with their logo.

Your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes (including the one that came with your system.)

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, looks like the earlier remote link I sent did not go through: click here for example

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.