Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Mitsubishi Diamond Scan model WS-65907 (yes, quite old ~15

Customer Question

Mitsubishi Diamond Scan model WS-65907 (yes, quite old ~15 years?), for a few months (about 3 or 4, as I recall) this TV would experience convergence problems when you turn it on. Then, after about 5 to ten minutes or so, would straighten out and work perfectly. Yesterday, I turned on the set and it made a slight staticy (is this a word?) sound, then a not too loud sound like a miniature bomb falling. Yup, you guessed it, within a few seconds, the set just did nothing. There was sound a few seconds later, but no picture. Then nothing. Just a very faint gray screen.
I tried it again today, but the same very faint gray picture and the sound is now a staticy sound that fades in and out; mostly in. At all times that the power switch is on, the green light is on, steadily. I tried holding the two buttons, "input" and "menu" for five seconds (even more) and the green light simply stays on solidly.
Is there a repair for this big old rear-projection TV? It has performed wonderfully until a few months ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

- Does TV stay ON with faint gray screen OR shuts Off after some time?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to use the other expert that first responded to my question. Please connect me to the other expert on TVs.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't mean to demean you, I simply want to work with the expert I read about and agreed to use.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry, I don't see any other TV question associated with your account.

Can you mention his name here?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cx request you to opted out because he want Expert Steve to answer his question.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, I'm opting out now.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Steve is not online and it's likely that you simply viewed one of his older interactions with another customer that linked you to here. That being said, the symptoms on your TV point to a specific hardware failure that I am familiar with.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

The convergence problems you experienced previously that would straighten itself out- is indicative of the convergence IC's failing (which are the parts that align the three color tubes in the TV). Ultimately they fail, and will cause a loss of picture on the TV, or shut down failures. The chips need to be replaced in the set (along with associated resistors), and this is commonly a $275-$300 repair at a shop on this model (a shop can be located using the link below):

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Alternatively if you're a DIY type, then there is a kit that can be purchased at the link below with all of the parts needed for this repair- however, keep in mind that soldering and electronics experience is needed. Here is the kit if you're looking to proceed to that end:

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/mitsubishi-ws-65907-convergence-repair-kit.html

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am a licensed PE and an electronics engineer and will be affecting the repairs myself. I am aware of the convergence issue and fix, but this TV only has a very dim gray picture (really just a dim colorless field) and no sound other than a fairly low frequency static, that is sometimes in and out. Will the ICs fix this as well? Also, I will need to know how to access there parts. I have all tools necessary, but do not know what to take apart to get at the pc board. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As you can see the question posed above was posted 4 days ago (not the 24 hrs promised) and I still have not received a replay. Any help out there?