Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

My 42" 3-D TV just went blank. No problems or any indication

Customer Question

My 42" 3-D TV just went blank. No problems or any indication of anything wrong. The remote does nothing. I cut power with cord and re plugged. The remote turned on the power but nothing else. Is there a reboot function or something I need to do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , i will be helping you today
Can you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , at some point you will receive a phone offer , it is auto generated by the website , not me and you can decline or accept it if you`d rather do this on the phone , let me know .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jack
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Also wanted to ask you the TV's model number please ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Phone is okay
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TC- P425 T30
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Actually cant use the phone just now , perhaps a bit later and in any case I need a bit more info and we may not need it after all .

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
If you`re not sure then darken the room and turn the tv off and on again while you observe the screen .
Can you see the tv`s own menu for example ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Blank like turned off. No menu.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The red power light is on.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k and does it blink ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

The power light I mean

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not connected to any cable. I use rabbit ears. The news was on and then it went blank.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No blinking
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Steady always.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then normally those TV's are pretty good at giving a diagnostic with an error code in the form of a sequence of blinks .

When no blinks are produced then it is assumed the main board is the problem , it cannot diagnose itself if you will but again this will have to be verified with meters and those older plasma TV's were not the easiest to work on I`m afraid and I wish I could say this would be an easy board swap but it may require some extensive troubleshooting .

Let me check the price of that board and what you may be looking at in terms of costs .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for waiting

The main board for this tv cost some $130 to buy and to have it replaced by a shop could cost you some $300 total .

As I said , I wish I could tell you go ahead and buy it and everything will work out fine but without that blink code this is only an educated guess and a $130 guess so I think this should be checked first

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv and the fact that you can get a new 42" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $300 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, I will not invest in repairs. I will buy another. Now what about the $28 I spent for this information? How does that work?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Sorry but all I know is that I get paid for my time if you rate positively .

not privy to any of the money matters or subscription or trials etc. etc. not an employee here but an independent tech.

Please use this link or phone number for these questions; 1.***-***-****

By the way , the same info at home would`ve cost you $125 tv not repaired

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

By the way , that phone call that I declined saved you $26 alone

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not satisfied with the diagnosis and feel that another technician may be required. I am going to dispute payment.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the phone number is ***** do you have the number?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

That IS the number

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do I do Jack?