Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I turned the TV on and the HDMI and then "invalid format"

Customer Question

I turned the TV on and the HDMI and then "invalid format" was displayed and I couldn't get rid of it
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: all of our tvs are brand new. Three are VZIOS and one is SONY. Also on the SONY most of the time when my husband turns it on we have to go back to tell it to display HDMI and on that TV he gets that every time.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: On my VZIO, I get invalid format and have to turn it on and off to get the programming. the information button and guide never work. The main TV is ok we just have to press enter to get tv. No problems with invalid format. My husband's sony he can't get the guide or information button. The DVR record and play works on everything. You can see my frustration is so bad we are looking to pay off our contract. The internet we will keep.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Sadly, this has been an issue as long as I can remember. I fooled around with it and figured how to get the imput to get HDMI1 when it was on HDMI2.. We just haven't had time to fool with it and just usually watch the main tv so we won't have to be mad
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Right now we have problems turning it on and getting TV, and turning it off, what buttons to hold, and problems with volume and guide.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

So this is happening on all 3 tvs?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

What is the source of the content (who provides your dvr/service)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I am not going to pay 26 dollars to pay for you because I have 3 out of four tvs that have problems. just send answers
1. when it says invalid format on VZIO tv, press these buttons on remote.
2. when I can't get volume button to work on SONY or VZIO press these buttons
3. when I can't get menu on vzio or sony press these buttons on remote.
simple - one two three. If the answers are that difficult I'm getting rid of it anyway
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

That is an automated ad you are seeing, you may ignore it if you don't want the call service.

What is the model number of each tv,

and again what source device are you using on them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have two vzios Model E600i-B3; one SONY KDL 32Bx300/32BX300/22 and one VZIO 60hz E Series.The main unit that is in the living room has the model number IPH8005 PACE. That's the best I can do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information, approximately how big is that vizio (32" like the smaller sonys?)

That pace is an iptv box, who provides the service? Att? Verizon?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
two 55 inches and two thirty six inches approximately
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Okay, since you are having this issue on all of them, it points to this being a fault with the cable (pace) box, which means it is really the responsibility of the cable company.

Before we do anything, please reboot that main cable box, as well as any smaller boxes you may have on the individual tvs, AND your main "gateway" box, which would be like your modem/router for the internet connection, by unplugging power to all of them for at least 60 seconds. Plug the modem/gateway in first, wait a minute, do the pace box, then another minute for any smaller boxes.

Let me know if that makes a difference on the messages the screens show.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?