Master Fix It
Master Fix It, Technician
Experience:  25 + Years experience repairing TVs, VCRs Computer etc.
11519491

I have a jvc hd p61r1U rear projection tv that is flashing

Customer Question

i have a jvc hd p61r1U rear projection tv that is flashing red and blue alternating lights which indicates an overheating problem. i replaced the bulb, yes i know this isn't the problem and also replaced the bulb cooling fan but no luck. I tested the other two fans with a 9v battery and they both rotated so i don't think that's the problem either. i taped the door switch closed as well. my last thought is the ballast but i can't tell what input voltage should be. Any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: JVC HD- P61R1U is the model. Purchased approx. 8 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: tv won't light up at all. when turned on no fans come on and the blue light comes on and after a minute the lights begin flashing alternately
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it just happened when i turned it one one day. it worked fine before that.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: checked the main fuse too; it was good
Category: TV
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 3 months ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How did this seem to fail?

Please be as descriptive as possible so I can help you.

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tv was working fine when it was last turned off. When we turned it back on later is when if failed to light up. Normally the blue light comes on and you can hear the fans come on followed by the screen lighting. In this case no fan noise is heard and after a minute the blue and red lights begin flashing alternately which the trouble shooting guide indicates overheating or fan lock.

Typically this problem is a bad ballast.

And the flashing lights are indicative of that as well. Its super easy to replace in that one, no soldering just plugs in. Also make sure the tiny micro switch on the door frame is in the correct position since you replaced the lamp;-)

the best place to get that ballast is: https://www.partstore.com/Content/CategoryPages/Electronics-ProjectorsDLPTVs.aspx

I would call them to order the ballast: 1-***-***-****.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks,
i'll see about ordering the board. i pulled it already and from what i've read the spark generator is what fails. It's the big silver thing that looks like a cap. do you know of where i could find that part as opposed to buying a new one?

Hi yes it is an electrolytic capacitor.

I dont know where you would find one other than buying one.

You can get the board complete but I dont think you will find that spark generator anywhere as they dont sell those parts only completed assemblies ;-(

You will really need the ballast.

Please rate kindly at this time so I can remain with you at no additional cost.

Thank you and have a great evening;-)

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i replaced the ballast and still not picture. the alternating red blue lights continue. any other suggestions? Again the code for the blinking lights is an over heat condition, i tested the fans with a 9V battery and they turned. could a bad bulb make this code? according to the manual burnt bulb results a fast flashing light.
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 2 months ago.

Hi good morning, YES the reason is more than likely one of the thermal cut outs have blown, super eas parts to replace The one I would check for continuity first is the one on the lamp housing;-)

Also make sure the tiny micro switch is on on the lamp door!

If it works or not, they are also so easy to breakand the TV will NOT operate if its not good.

Please rate my service kindly.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael