Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

The roku has been working fine but now when I press input on

Customer Question

The roku has been working fine but now when I press input on the TV remote instead of Roku appearing on the screen there is only snow. The internet is working fine on my computer. Please let me know what could be the problem.
Thanks./ Peter
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Which model of Roku do you have please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was the intermediate priced model. I am not at home so I can't seeit. I can call my wife if it is absolutely necessary
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

No not necessary at this time. When you get home, turn the TV on to the Roku input, then unplug the Roku from the wall outlet for a minute or so. When you plug it back in, watch the TV and see if anything appears on the screen, even if its only for a brief second or two. Get back to me with what you find please and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She can't get access to the outlet.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

She may be able to unplug the power right from the back of the Roku?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She did get to unlug unit but still there was nothing but snow.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

What I wanted her to watch for was when she plugged back in and not so much when it was unplugged. I am trying to determine if this might be just a problem with the little power supply/wall cube that plugs into the wall. We really need to try unplugging it from the wall to test it. If she can get to it, check it to see if it feels warm.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it does not feel warm
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

That could be the whole problem? Those types of power supplies fail frequently. How old is your Roku?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Six months
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Well that kind of takes that idea off the table! How do you have the Roku connected to your TV?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HDMI Port
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

If there is a problem with the source, (Roku) you would only see black, or your TV would disable that HDMI port thinking it was not in use. There should not be any snowy picture? Have her try a different port on the TV.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the help but she says it will not fit in another port. I can not do this long distance.
Thanks again. Peter
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Okay. You can have her pick this up and I can continue with her if she likes?