Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

Have a zenith z42pj420 plasma screen tv. Periodically the

Customer Question

Have a zenith z42pj420 plasma screen tv. Periodically the right 3 inches of screen will be full of colored vertical lines or be solid black. Read things such as y sus boards, bad buffers, or bad solder joints. Not sure what I need or where to find. Thanks!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Zenith is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 6 years old, give or take a year. Model z42pj240.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing yet. Not sure what to try first.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Pete. While not our primary tv, I would like to get it working properly. If there's a good chance that I could make it worse by trying something with my lack of experience/knowledge with tv's - I would probably leave it as is. If it's a simple fix that most anyone should be able to accomplish, I will try whatever - as long as cost of parts doesn't make it more practical to just get a new tv.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If the problem is intermittent then it may just be caused by a loose ribbon cable inside the TV.

Try disconnecting and firmly reconnecting the internal ribbon cables that connect the image processing boards to the plasma display.

Let me know if there is any improvement?

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete, sorry it took me a while to get back to you, first had time now to try. Not sure how to disconnect the ribbon cables. I did flip the black clamps open and then back shut, but not sure if the ribbons actually come disconnected. Was afraid to do anything thinking I might break the ribbons. Is that all I had to do, or is there a trick to fully disconnect the ribbon cables from the board?Thanks