Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Comes on and has very poor picture with lines and mostly

Customer Question

comes on and has very poor picture with lines and mostly black screen. after 15 to 20 minutes of activity, picture comes back and works fairly well.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: couple years or so.. progressively getting worse.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: just wondering if its worth my time, effort and money to fix it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Can you please get me the model number of the set ?found on the back of the set please

Let me know thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
42pfl7422d/37

Thanks OK the first thing that needs to be examined on these sets are the capacitors on the power-board they need to be visually examined for leaking\ballooning\raised domed tops, poor regulation from the power-board caused by the caps can cause this now the 2 options open for you is to do the work yourself, I will provide all the necessary support and on-going support (for 30 days if necessary) or you call a tech www.tvrepairpros.com <<click will locate a tech in your area, however you do need to be careful on costs as its a repair versus replace for sets of this age.

Outside of this you could have backlight or panel problems.

Let me know what you want to do here

Please consider rating the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there an average cost for repairs to these TV's? We have had it for around 10 years. Once it warms up, it works fine. My son is using it in the basement for gaming purposes a couple times a week. I thought if I could fix it relatively cheap, I would. What is your opinion on repair vs replace on a set of this age?

No average cost my guess would be if a tech got involved and came to your home you could be looking over $200 plus call out and then there is a chance the panel is bad (that is not fixable) so to keep costs down the owner would need to do work themselves and even then costs could be over $100.

I appreciate the fault is intermittent and temp sensitive many faults are like this with TV

Let me know if you need more help, costs have dropped considerably since this set was made for flat panel TV you could probably replace it for $350 at a much higher sec

Anthony

Please do though remember to rate 3 to 5 stars so the site can pay my credit fee thank you if you need any more help please let me know or you need advice on replacing the set

Anthony

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would like to do the work myself. What do I need to do first and check?

Thats fine please remember though you may be looking at a badly tabbed panel (screen) the tabbing in the screen itself or the backlighting can go intermittent with the panel however we follow a procedure of checks begininng with those capacitors I mentioned earlier they are favorites for issues like this, so the back of the set will need to come off, you trace the power-cord to the power-board and on there your looking and examining all these devices <<click

Your looking for ballooning\leaking\raised domed tops of those this is the initial check for this issue, let me know

Anthony

If the panel is bad the set will need to be replaced as its not an option to replace the panel

I have to sign off now so any replies you send will be dealt with when I sign back on

Anthony

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, I think I have all the screws out.. I'm trying to get the back off now.. I'm close..

OK just let me know the results of the check and we will move on from there, yes those sets have millions of screws

Anthony

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the back off and looking at the capacitors. Nothing looks obvious. Other than some dust, looks clean. No sign of overheating, or leaking. All the tops look and feel flat. what next?

Yes I had to sign off

Press the menu button of the sets own remote control (during the fault) is the menu black too please?or is the menu perfectly normal bright an unaffected

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I need to put the back on the TV to plug it in and turn it on?
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 5 months ago.

Yes to see the menu that is a definite yes, then press the menu button of the sets own remote during the fault phase let meknow if the menu is affected by this too please

Anthony