Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

We have an older modelTH-42PX75u has started turning

Customer Question

We have an older modelTH-42PX75u has started turning off after one to 5'minutes and has to be turned back on, though occasionally it turn itself back on. Is it a goner?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Although it is certainly not getting any younger and the cost of 42 " has certainly come down since the time this one was made , the feasibility of a repair would depend much on rhe problem or board defective and that could be determined if the tv gives out a blink code when it is in shut down

Does the light blink at the front when it turns off ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Was looking at the price and availability of parts for this 9 years old tv and the main board which would be the first suspect would cost some $150 to buy and the second suspect the power board above $100 and will need to be adjusted after replacing .

Those could prove difficult to find as well and if you have a shop repair this for you then you are looking at $300 + while you can get a new 42" with all the bells and whistles for about the same price.

So to answer that question " Is it a goner? " , may be the best thing that would happen really .

Could be fixed this month and fail somewhere else next month .

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you