Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Samsung ln37B530 with standby light on but no response from

Customer Question

Samsung ln37B530 with standby light on but no response from buttons or remote. Replaced MAIN board, now Standby light blinks 2 then 5 upon power cord insertion but then goes out. TV responds to remote control IR (standby light flickers) and it didn't do this before. All voltages on PS board appear OK. Can't check the 3.3V on back of main board. Voltages on Tcon board fuse are zero on both sides. Fuse good. All fuses on PS board are OK. MAIN replacement board came from TVPARTS GUYS and was from exact model. Numbers all appear to match as well.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: YES, this is a hardware failure.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Samsung ln37B530 with standby light on but no response from buttons or remote. Replaced MAIN board, now Standby light blinks 2 then 5 upon power cord insertion but then goes out. TV responds to remote control IR (standby light flickers) and it didn't do this before. All voltages on PS board appear OK. Can't check the 3.3V on back of main board. Voltages on Tcon board fuse are zero on both sides. Fuse good. All fuses on PS board are OK. MAIN replacement board came from TVPARTS GUYS and was from exact model. Numbers all appear to match as well.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

If the voltages on the PS board are good and replacing the main board did not help, then a bad panel is the next most likely cause of the TV not turning on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete,Although the PS voltages I can verify appear good I'd like a bit more conclusive trouble shooting other than the next "most likely" cause. What would be a likely Panel Failure - the actual panel or the Back Lighting. I'm assuming the actual panel can be isolated by the removal or disconnection of the T-Con board, back lighting may be more difficult to isolate. Have you experienced significant panel failures on Samsung? I have not and this set is known to come from a very low duty cycle environment. Comments?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

A fault anywhere (including panel or backlighting) can cause the TV to fail to power on.

Has it perhaps been subject to damage from a power surge caused during a power outage or thunderstorm?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No surge that I'm aware of but that really doesn't matter since they can happen without the knowledge of the owner. Some equipment can be damaged while other things immune. No major damage to this residence however.What confuses me on this set is the fact that the Main board was "stuck" in the standby mode (light on solid) - no indication of response what-so-ever from the remote or side buttons. Replacing the main board caused the set to react differently - instead of the Standby Light on solid once plugged in it now blinks 2 times then 5 times and goes OUT (light off) and then flickers when it receives IR signal from the remote (so it shows signs of life). I was very careful to get the same board from the same make/model to be sure (at least as sure as I could) of compatibility. Does Samsung have a Diag Code listing for this series of sets? I looked in the only manual I could find and none are listed. I'm hoping the 2-5 code may have some relevance.
The other thing that confuses me about the new functionality is that my experience with Samsung is that the standby light is ON until the set is powered up then it goes OFF --- so even though this board acts different I'm wondering if it's at all correct?
THX Ed
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I cannot find any information on the diag codes for this set either - let me check if the other experts can assist further...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Peter: Thank you so much. I pulled the PS board to look for issues and powered it up with the back light connectors unplugged. Same results. Both fuses appear OK and there is no bulging caps or damage to the board or surface mounted components. I may take a shot at a new (used) PS module to see if that helps. If you find anything in the interim please let me know. You have been most kind and I appreciate it. I just hate disposing of useful equipment or I would have trashed it by now..........After doing repair for more than 35 years I just can't get used to the disposable world we now seem to live in. BTW, I'm an Engineer as well. THX again. Ed