Eric, Technician
Experience:  TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field
22241082

I have a 40" Samsung LED tv that recently stopped working.

Customer Question

I have a 40" Samsung LED tv that recently stopped working. While it was on, it suddenly stopped working, and the red light on the lower right began flashing while the tv made a clicking sound. Over the past few weeks, we have tried first replacing the power board, then the main board, and finally the t-con board. When using the remote, the blue lights on the t-con board light up, but there is still no sound or picture. It is model #UN40H5203AF. Any suggestions???
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi Lisa,
My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

If the boards were purchased from a reputable supplier and are good, but the TV still will not turn on, then the fault may be with the display screen itself.

Approximately how old is the TV? Is it still under warranty?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It will be two years old this Christmas, so no, not under warranty.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The boards were purchased through different vendors, through Amazon.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Were they new or used boards? Do you have a schematic diagram available to test them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know that the power board came from a tv that had a broken screen. Can't confirm if the others were new or used. What do you mean by a schematic diagram? Do you mean are they the same as the old parts??
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I mean a circuit diagram for the TV so that you can carry out some diagnostic tests on it...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, and I don't see it as part of the manual.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

The circuit diagrams will not be included in the regular user manual, however they will be included in a service manual.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, I don't have a service manual.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Ok, let me check if the other experts can assist further with this...

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** am a TV and Electronics expert here on Just Answer.

If you still need assistance I would love to help.

Please lets back up , you said before you replaced the boards it was clicking and not working.

I need to know what the power light was doing before and after replacing the boards.

You may have a bad board that you purchased or something else could be wrong

respond with the power light symptoms , before and after. mark the boards so you know which are the originals and

let me know if there is a difference with the new boards or exactly the same symptoms with any board in the TV

Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

Please respond if you still require assistance.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Haven't had a chance to do this yet, but will get to it tomorrow. Planned to just put the old boards back in, and replace each one separately, testing in between.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

OK I'll check back after you post what you find, thanks Eric

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, here's what we did. We put the original 3 boards back in. Plugged it in, and the bluelights on the t-con board came on. Used the remote to turn it on, red light on the power button flashes like its trying, but doesn't turn on, no picture. Push again, solid red indicating its off. So that's the original state. Replaced the t-con board, same results - flashes red and tries, but no picture. Kept that one in, and then replaced the main board. This time, the blue lights didn't immediately come on when we plugged it in, but did with the remote. Same results, no picture. Replaced the main board. Now all 3 boards are the new ones, exact same results. What else is there??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been 6 days....
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

ok reading sorry

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like a bad LED bulb inside the screen. I replace these all the time , but have damaged and cracked the front screen taking it off. this is a LINK to a set of LED strips

similar process for replacing them HERE

I usually remove the front and with the tcon unplugged I turn on the (no front TV) laying face up with nothing shorting out

the LEDs should flash on and you can see which ones don't light up ,

also before turning it on visually inspect each LED bulb, if some look black burnt they are bad,

you can test each bulb using a voltmeter that has "diode checker mode" and at least 5 volts output.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One of the bulbs was bad, so we decided to give it one more shot, and bought the LED lights. So, replaced them, and the TV does turn on now, but is a faint blue screen, nothing happens when we use the remote first menu, etc. So tell me, should we call it done, or do you have any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I guess it's destined for the landfill.