Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

The picture has gone black..sound and power are still

Customer Question

The picture has gone black..sound and power are still perfect.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just this morning. When I turned it on no picture just black screen. It was fine when I turned it off last night.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: I don't know the make & model. It's a 32 inch screen about 5 years old. Never a problem prior to this.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turning it on and off..checking connections and plug ins.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Can you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
Note that I need time to type and research for parts and info if needed so don't be surprised if there are delays between replies
Also ,Can you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Doesn`t happen to be a LG tv is it ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Model number will be written on the back cover and brand at the front usually but only the model number will suffice

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's mounted on the wall so I can't see it or get to it but I must have done something when trying to get to it because now my sound is gone too. It's been mounted on the wall about 3 years with no prior problems.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k and does it still turn on/off ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
If you`re not sure then darken the room and turn the tv off and on again while you observe the screen .
Can you see the tv`s own menu for example ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The green light in the lower right hand corner comes on. When I turn the tv and wall mount to the extreme right I get the sound back. When I straighten it I lose the sound again
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

For the sound you may have a bad connection /cable but right now the picture would be the first thing to look at .

Try the TV's own menu , does it come up ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now I have sound again. It came back after turning it off then again
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. The set up function doesn't show at all. The screen is black
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then in that case , never mind the sound and the tv will have to come down the wall anyway if the next procedure does nothing ;

Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it then we are looking at internal problems with the tv.

let me know how that goes.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

In case of internal problems then you would most likely be looking at a backlight inverter or led driver board failure in which case the only way I see this being worth the repair would be if you do it yourself.

I mean that I cannot see paying some $150 to have a shop repair it while you can get a new 32" for less than $200 nowadays.

Let me know about your ability to perform the DIY repair and with th model number I will be able to tell you the cost and where to buy the correct parts

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. That was the conclusion I anticipated. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Much welcome and now please do not forget to rate with the stars at the top of your page (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.