Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Tv acts as if it going to start, then the option screen

Customer Question

tv acts as if it going to start , then the option screen comes up and its stuck on video mote and can not move it to hdmi 1 with or without the remote
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help. Please reply back when you see this message to continue.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what do you think is wrong
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

I need bit more info about TV.

Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

- How old is the TV?

- Does menu option screen show up if press menu button on TV or its remote?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
t v is 3 yrs old , maybe not even that. the menu option comes on for a few seconds, then shows video mode,then no signal. the tv buttons nor the remote can make it do anything
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK - What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
cable box is the only device hook to it. problem occurs on all video imput sources
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Thnaks, it seems cable box and TV aren't communicating for some reason and you would need to reboot TV and cable box that would help to resolve the problem.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have done that. I even umplug the tv and the cable box all night. nothing. I replace the cable box with a new box and still nothing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I could get it off the video mode and onto the hdmi mote I think I would get the cable box picture.
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, it wasn't mentioned in question, sorry about confusion.

HDMI input needs live video signal to activate then you will be able to select it in input source list. Since cable box is new that means it would be sending out video signal to HDMI input of TV and if TV still doesn't allow to select HDMI input that means HDMI processor chip on main board isn't working any more due to internal failure and main board of TV is likely to be replaced to resolve the problem.

Alternately, please check your cable box to find out yellow-red-white RCA jacks of AV/ Composite video output to connect the box to AV input of TV with AV cable to keep watching cable channels though picture result would be low resolution.

If no AV output jacks available on cable box then I'm afraid the main board of TV will be replaced to fix the problem. If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i hooked up dvd player to tv. picture came on but no way to select start . have a good picture but doesnt do anything else other then show the start of the movie
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

What input of TV the DVD player hooked into?
Have you pressed Play or Enter button on DVD player remote to playback the disc?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
got tv to go on . sound very low. still can not move channels up or down . Guess I will just go play with the tv and see what I can come up with.
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

To move channels up/down you would need to use cable box remote and perhaps cable box remote also has its own volume buttons to adjust the volume level.