Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung TV model LN-T5285F that died about ten

Customer Question

Hi, my name is Neil. I have a Samsung TV model LN-T5285F that died about ten years ago. After all this time, I've decided some questions are in order but first a little history. The first sign of trouble was a cut off of power resulting in a black screen. The power button worked perfectly for about the next few weeks, starting the tv on the first push and lasting as long as we desired. The next phase was characterized by repeated power losses with restarts requiring 2-4 presses. Durring phases 1 and 2 the occurances increased in frequency and duration.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Samsung tv is approx. ten years old. As instructed by samsung tech, several different power up seuences were imployeed...no improvment.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, only repeated presses of power button would eventually connect power. Changing inputs made no recognizable difference. Ms. Wilson, I should inform you that the tv has sat for all this time without service or concern thus, my answerers may be rather cryptic.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The tv has been unused for the past ten years. Before the power losses this unit operated 16 hrs per day.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. Is there anything that indicates this model was simply a failure and should be dumped? In the past when talking with a service person, they all sugested that this unit was not worth the repair investment. If this is the case today please tell me the unit is not worthy and I will dispose of it and end the expense.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

These symptoms point to a power supply board failure with the set, and that board is very tough to locate on a 10 year old LCD, however there is the possibility a used/pulled part may be found. Now, that said, the question is whether YOU are looking to repair the set yourself- or wondering what it would cost at a shop.

If bringing this to a shop- you're looking at close to $300 parts and labor to fix- and this is not cost effective at all since a brand new 50" LED TV starts at around $400, so putting 3/4 of that price into a 10 year old LCD TV (with lesser picture quality than a modern TV) is not money well spent.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

If you're looking to perform a DIY repair, let me know and we can proceed to that end. The power board is usually in the $100 range.

Other than that, this is not cost effective and I'm sorry for the bad news here.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?