Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 62HM15a that produces a pretty loud humming sound

Customer Question

I have a 62HM15a that produces a pretty loud humming sound when turned on. The sound continues when I turn the set off for about 5-10 minutes. If I unplug the set, the sound stops immediately. The picture quality is not affected. Do I need to call a repairman or is there something I ca do?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Toshiba 62HM15A, turning it on has only been a problem previously when the bulb needs to be replaced.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just turning it on and off at varying intervals and unplugging it. The bulb is only three months old and shouldn't be the problem but it did require a flashing light restart last week.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

That lamp could very well be the cause of the humming if it's not an OEM (over $120 from a dealer) lamp. We see $30-$50 clones all the time that don't last very long and can hum while the ballast is trying to spark them. Where did you purchase that lamp from and for how much?

Also, the humming could be one of the three fans in the set being clogged with dust/debris, or even the ballast or power supply itself starting to have failing/weak parts.

So whether you can repair this, depends on first- the quality of that lamp, and next, what your comfort level is removing the back of the set and working inside of the TV.

Let me know and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please review my reply and postback.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.