Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

I have a lc-60le600u sharp with a small bottom section of

Customer Question

I have a lc-60le600u sharp with a small bottom section of the edge light led section out. after about 15-30 minutes, the section turns back on and everything is fine.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model number above. about 4 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing so far.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you.

To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

The tv has an internal failure, so are you trying to repair the tv yourself?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

In your own words, please describe your level of experience with electronics.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Depends on how extensive the repair or failure is. I am fairly proficient with electronics. But why would the led section turn back on after a period of time even though when you first power up the tv the section is out.The section is about 5 inches long on the bottom left side of the tv
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

95% of the time this ends up being defective LED back lights inside the tv screen, which is actually not something that can be repaired (the entire tv screen would have to be replaced. But if you have experience measuring live voltages then you can confirm the power output of the board to be sure. The pins on the board are clearly marked and I can help if you get stuck.

If you do not have the needed skills and tools then having it repaired by a local shop will end up costing more than a new tv (unless it turns out to be a defective board). Just an in home diagnosis is usually at least $100 up front. You saved a lot of time and money by coming here first.

Remember, I will be here with you throughout this entire process. Please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page before we go further. Rating now does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Or you can just take a $100 chance and buy the power board and pop it in, to see what happens...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why would putting another power board in fix the problem? I am not receiving any error codes and the tv is fully operational except the bottom backlight led section being dark and then coming back on.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

Heat affects electronics. As the tv warms up, the LED inside the screen or the circuit on the power board begins to work. I suppose it's possible there is a bad solder joint on the power board, take the board out and inspect carefully. Other than that, you cannot replace the LED's inside the screen, so the only option left is to either TEST the voltages on the board while the problem is happening, or replace the board entirely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are the edge lit leds not replacable?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 month ago.

No tv repair shop replaces the LED's. There are no part numbers for the LED's and the tv screen itself would have to be taken apart which is way too many labor hours and very very high risk of damaging the screen assembly. When a back light goes out, it is the death of the tv because a new screen costs just as much as a new tv (unless you find one used on eBay).