Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Im having issues with my TV turning on, Samsung plasma

Customer Question

Im having issues with my TV turning on, Samsung plasma PN64d700.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: TV is from 2011 so 5yrs old. I have tried unplugging it for many hours.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Pulling off back panel and inspecting for suspicious caps. Don't see anything so far. Have measured Va and Vs.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: i suppose not
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today

What type of "issues" do you have ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

i mean that either it turns on or not ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
TV will not turn on
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
once plugged in, status light blinks 6 times then stays off, will blink momentarily when trying to turn set back on.
Wouldn't turn on one day, was awhile ago, has been sitting idle since then, haven't had time to deal with till now.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Do you recall if this happened after a power blackout or perhaps lightning storm etc. ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not happen after either of those. Just would not turn on one day. Do remember one of the HDMI inputs not working a few weeks before this happened. Might be related, I just switched to another input.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

O.k then this could be a number of possibilities going from the main board then power board and finally one of the sustain boards although I would definitely look at the main board as the first suspect and especially after what you said about the HDMI input failing

Those last of Samsung plasma had main board problems and to boot that no support whatsoever from Samsung while the warranty was over.

Did you have in mind to look into this yourself ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sitting here with the TV back panel off, meter in hand ready to go boss man.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Not much metering to do here , I mean no service manual , no data , no help from Samsung and practically no parts although I`m fairly sure the main board could be found if tyou`re willing to give it a try .

Sorry but there is no troubleshooting and transistors to replace here , this is a Samsung plasma , you replace boards when you can find them

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, can't we isolate the issue? I'm not trying to buy boards willy nilly. I was under the assumption there would be some tech support? I found out after 5 minutes on google it could be any board in here. Saying it COULD be this or that after our limited conversation has me getting a refund or a new tech ya mean? Which is to say, this conversation hasn't helped me at all, and now you have my CC and email information.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Good luck then , I`m going to opt out and perhaps someone here has better info for you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Saw you open another post and I`d like to comment on that .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's for the same problem..... I'd like to talk to Tim as I found an answer he gave to another customer on the site and he seems much more technical, was able to provide more assistance.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

For one we are not allowed to reply to duplicates which your other post is and then I have to be the most experienced tech. here with over 40 years in the trade and finally , Tim has been gone for some 3 years now.

Its not that I don't know how this works , it is just that there is NO DATA available to assist you and your meter .

I`m telling you tat yo have a defective main board and you can take that to the bank .

Or scrap that tv or better yet have a local tech. go over it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont understand what you mean by no data? You're saying there is no measurements I can take that will be useful for troubleshooting this? I've seen plenty of You Tube videos of people troubleshooting TV's just figured coming on here and talking to a tech would be much more concise. I just am having trouble understanding how there is nothing that can be done.
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** am a different tech

I would like to go over one or two things you have said

Well, can't we isolate the issue? I'm not trying to buy boards willy nilly.

What you need to understand with flat panel TV is their is very little component level repairs carried out except for one or two on the power-board in 95% of cases its a board replacement exercise the reason for that is the boards do not lend themselves to component level repair unless you have a high grade workshop with $$$$ test equipment including surface wave soldering and oscilloscopes, point two on this is the boards are in the main cheap to buy point to note is they are NOT new boards but pulled from scrap sets.

That being said yes sometimes it is a board swapping exercise to eliminate the issue because unlike the CRT era were you followed a fault path that is NOT the case with flat panel TV you take a "guess" sometimes as to what the board you need to replace is bad but its an "experienced" guess and yes you can come unstuck this is even the same policy at workshop level.

The problem again that does not help with samsungs is there is no blink code procedure to help so outside of taking Vs and Va voltages which I assume may come up and die or even be up it looks like the set is not booting (main-board) however there could be a short so let me know those voltages you took first, please understand though we may be taking an experienced guess at what board to replace, if you still want to stick with your component level idea well I cant help you I doubt anyone can........have a think