Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I turned on TV and got sound but no picture. The TV has not

Customer Question

I turned on TV and got sound but no picture. The TV has not been touched or moved in long time but is used every day
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the sound before?
Customer: its a SK 32H240s and have never had this issue before
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried removing power cord, made sure all connections are tight but nothing comes on screen
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Are you able to see the tv menu screens at all?

If you hold a flashlight to the screen, can you see any picture or menus that way?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can not see anything screen black
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, Ray.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. These westinghouse tvs are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum and typically last only a few years at the most, it is actually quite amazing that it has lasted this long.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv, from a more reputable brand, with a fresh warranty, for under $200.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,