Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. No picture, black screen after

Customer Question

Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. No picture, black screen after following:
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2007 LC-46D62U, Black screen after following: 1) unplug & plug in again 2) immediately CLICKS & then power light on steady . Black screen. 3) after a few minutes the PWR & OPC lites blink in following pattern: i) BOTH ii) PWR only 3 times iii) repeats the pattern. //// I tired the following (supposedly for a factor reset: unplug, hold down INPUT & V L
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Supposed Factor Reset: unplug, hold down INPUT & VOL DOWN, then plug in power. But no response; I did not get the expected 'K' screen (the DIagnostic screen0
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no, connect me please
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most often a faulty power supply board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?