Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

On my Samsung Smart TV, when I try manually labeling an

Customer Question

On my Samsung Smart TV, when I try manually labeling an input source, for example, even before I start typing, the input box fills with "W"s, and I get a message: "The box is full, you can't enter any more text" It is as though the W button on a keyboard were stuck in the ON position, yet I don't currently have a keyboard connected. This is happening anywhere a text input is required.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) Roughly how long have you owned the set for and when did the issue occur?

2) Are you able to navigate the MENU's normally beyond the Input labeling?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The TV was purchased last December.I am otherwise able to navigate the menu and select and set menu items.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply. These symptoms are- for lack of a better word- a glitch in the set's Mainboard. The Mainboard is basically the computer that runs the TV's MENU functions, and in some cases the EEPROM (processor) can simply act up- much like a smart phone can lock up on a page, or freeze when you're trying to text.

Please try a hard reset of the TV and see if this unlocks the processor. Shut the TV off and unplug it from power. Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 full seconds and release.

Wait a minute then plug the set back in, power it up and see if it will allow you to Input label as normal or if you have the same issue.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you're still having the same problem, then there are two possible things that can be the cause for this- either it's software needs to be updated (the Mainboard is what contains the Firmware for the set), or the set itself has a premature fault and would need to be addressed by Samsung under warranty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The firmware update is at the link below and can be downloaded onto a USB drive and then uploaded to your TV via it's USB port. The instructions are also at the link below (under Downloads Upgrade Type):

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Last case, if the issue still occurs then you would need to contact Samsung and start a warranty repair ticket on the set and can contact them at the number below:

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?