Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Series 6 6000 1080i When I connect to Netflix using

Customer Question

I have a Series 6 6000 1080i
When I connect to Netflix using my laptop HDMI connection to my TV's HDMI I don't get any audio from the TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

This is a setting in your laptop- not your TV. Your TV will produce an Audio and a Video signal using HDMI- and there are no settings in the TV to change that.

On your Laptop, depending on the brand, model, and windows version you're using, there will be settings for audio to set the laptop to output via it's own speakers, or the HDMI port. Are you familiar with these settings?

If not, what it the operating system you're using?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

While not all versions of Windows are identical, the basic procedure is as follows:

To switch the audio output to HDMI, use the following steps:
Click Start, and then Control Panel. Select the Hardware and Sound category.
Click Manage audio devices, listed under the heading Sound. ...
Among the listed devices, select the device described with HDMI or Digital Audio, and click Set Default.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

There are also these steps here which are posted from a Dell blog:

1. Connect the HDMI cable to the computer and TV. If the TV has a "DVI/HDMI" port do not use it. Use a port for HDMI only.

2. Turn on the TV and select the HDMI port you are using. Adjust the TV settings to receive HDMI audio if any.

3. Turn on the computer. (Optional, some people close the laptop lid immediately after hitting the power button but I am not sure why. Most people should not need to do this.)

4. Optional. Some models do better if the TV is set to be the primary display. To set, repeatedly press Fn+F8 (or ctrl+alt+F4) to cycle through the settings (laptop display only -- laptop + TV -- TV only). Reboot the laptop.

5. Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab. Make "HDMI" the default device. If "HDMI" is not there, right click in the white area and look under "Show Disconnected Devices" or "Show Disabled Devices" and see if it is there. (This applies only to Vista & 7. XP does not have "show disconnected devices". )

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?