Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

We have a 60" Panasonic plasma. All of a sudden the tv

Customer Question

We have a 60" Panasonic plasma. All of a sudden the tv turned off and the red power light just blinks. Tried to unplug and do the vol/menu trick. Help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) When did this issue occur- were there any storms, power outages, etc. prior to this?

2) The red light generally blinks a code (for example: 10 blinks, 10 blinks, etc.). What code do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All was fine
7 blinks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. A 7 blink code points to the Plasma display processing having a failure- which generally requires replacement of the Sustain and Driver boards to fix the issue, which is generally a $300 repair on this set unfortunately.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates a hardware failure in the set. The power supply is one common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $250-$300 to have repaired.
The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is between $300-$400 parts and labor.
Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.
However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?