Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a magnavox 32 inch DVD combo television. It won't

Customer Question

I have a magnavox 32 inch DVD combo television. It won't turn on, black screen goes into standby mode.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Magnavox model number 32md301b/f7
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplug overnight, holding power key afterwards. Red power light comes on, then green standby mode
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Is there a simple reset feature.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Unfortunately no- there is not a simple reset feature beyond the unplugging and holding the power key procedure which you've already done. The set is shutting itself back into standby, due to a hardware failure internally. This is the self-protect mode built into these TV's to prevent fire/damage when a component has given up. If you're looking to repair this yourself, the most common cause of this issue is the power supply board- which can be purchased and replaced yourself if you'd like to go that route (let me know and I will hunt for a source for the part).

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will typically charge close to $175 parts and labor for this fix, and is generally not cost effective as the set can be replaced for about the same cost with a brand new LED TV. However if you'd like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Again, if you're a DIY type- let me know and I will search for that part.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?