Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I purchased a RCA TV I purchased in Sept. od 2014. a SEARS

Customer Question

I purchased a RCA TV I purchased in Sept. od 2014. a SEARS REPAIRMAN WAS OUT YESTERDAY and he told me the TV was on repairable due to a LED circuit who RCA doesn't have or make the parts for because it's defect in the TV. he told me contact you to get a SSA number to replace my TV. Please help me!!
Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Nancy.

Unfortunately this is indeed considered a "fatal" defect.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These RCA tvs are some of the very lowest quality tvs made, they aren't even made by rca but by a generic chinese manufacturer that is licensing the rca logo. It is normal and expected for these tvs to last only a year or two at best. They are not supported by RCA or the manufacturer in any form, there are no parts available, and there is no warranty coverage provided for them at this point. It is really not even possible to get someone on the phone from rca to speak to.

The only way to fix this would be to find another tv of the same model for parts, or purchase used parts off of ebay for example. Neither would be a practical investment, as an average repair would be in the $300 range. Even fixing this issue though would not extend the life of the tv significantly; it may last another few months or even a year, but I would not expect any more, the other internal parts will continue to fail sooner than later, again owing to the overall poor quality of this bran.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable manufacturer, in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Nancy?