Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

A single vertical line running down the length of the tv

Customer Question

A single vertical line running down the length of the tv about 5 to 6 inches from left about 1 or 2 pixels thick
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: pn51e550 about 4 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: cutting off and on, reset, firmware update, now I have the back cover off
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it i think
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Can you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm ready
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Hello

You are saying are running down vertically , if you knock on the TV's frame above or below those lines , doe sit seem to affect them

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no it doesn't
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

O.k and do they seem to change or move with the picture or stay the same no matter what is on the screen ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Always the same regardless of the picture or the input
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

O.k then please give me a few minutes to compose my answer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for waiting

This would be caused by one of the logic buffer board ,usually called E and F buffers /drives

Only problem with the latest plasma Samsung made is that they mounted those boards permanent at the back of the panel as the old system of removable board were having too many problems with bad contacts so now they are soldered/bonded to the panels ribbon cables.

Unfortunately now with this system this means that you cannot replace them and also means that you now have a defective panel .

You could try to reseat the ribbon cables that go from the logic board and to those buffers but I doubt it will do any good .

Sorry about the bad news here but those last plasma Samsung made were a bad deal and they offered no support whatsoever for them once the warranty was over .

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
essentially I would have to replace the tv?
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Sorry to say but yes unless you would find the same exact model with a different problem ... which would be rare , they all die from this ailment

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

And forget support from samsung

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

They closed down shop on plasma TV's , no parts or support whatsoever

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Any questions on this ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's it thank you
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate with the stars at the top of your page (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service