Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a thin dark line going across the tv screen part way,

Customer Question

i have a thin dark line going across the tv screen part way
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2007 sony bravia 42 inch
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: turn off and back on only
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-If you bring up the tv MENU using the buttons on the tv or the original Sony remote,

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
mike there is no answer yet I have asked for a refund
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

you never replied with the needed information, so impossible to provide any sort of answer. You want to get an answer, reply back with the information I asked for:

If you bring up the tv MENU using the buttons on the tv or the original Sony remote, does the line affect the menu?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi I will look I did not understand what I needed to do before sorry
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

no problem, communication is key to the success of this process.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot bring up " the Menu" on the remote or tv the line is still there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have display theater picture cc jump options what menu?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

HOME button on the Sony remote

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the line does not effect the menu
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Is it possible the menu is very close in color to the line and it's just very hard to tell if the line is affecting the menu?

Try selecting another INPUT using the Sony remote (make note of the current Input so you can get back to it). When you go to another input, is the line still there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when the screen is black I can still tell the line is there even though the line itself is dark/black
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
on the black screen at a certain angle the line gray/light
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

thanks.

Is the line horizontal or vertical?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
verticle not all the way across the tv
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am going to have to continue this later I have to leave for a couple hours
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Vertical is up and down, but you are saying the word "across" which sounds more like horizontal (left to right)....

Basically the tv needs repairs costing $300-$400. I can help you further if you want. Otherwise a repair shop is needed.

Just an in home diagnosis is usually at least $100 up front.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I do understand that finding out your tv needs expensive repairs is not pleasant but at least now you can make the most of your situation without high repair costs and long wait times. You saved a lot of time and money by coming here first.

Unless there is something else you can think of, please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page before you go.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is horizontal. Sorry. If I spend the $ with u You can fix it ?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, horizontal lines on any flat panel screen are "fatal". There is no fix, not even a tv repair shop can fix it. The tv screen has a manufacturer defect and the whole screen has to be replaced which costs more than a new tv. Your only hope is to contact Sony directly. Even though it is out of warranty, they have been known to offer some trade in value for another product.

At least you saved the $$ for calling a tv repair shop to your home.

Please show your support by submitting a 3 to 5 rating at the top of this page.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the diagnosis?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?