Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

My akai tv went black, One moment, I haven't, I don't know

Customer Question

My akai tv went black
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Akai is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: One moment
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't know the model but I know its no more than 10years old
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-Please try to get the model number from the back of the tv. If that is absolutely not possible then - what size is the screen 50" or 60" or? and is it a flat panel lcd tv or a projection tv?

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's about 40 in. Its a flat screen but old version
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

In your own words, describe your level of experience with electronics- Are you "technically challenged"? or a "savvy remote control user"? or you have installed/replaced components in PC's? or maybe you can test voltages, current, resistance, and solder on circuit boards?

Because at this point the tv needs parts and service. I can help you with that but if you do not have the necessary skills and tools then having it repaired by a local shop will end up costing more than a new 40" tv. Just an in home diagnosis is usually at least $100 up front.

In my opinion, you are better off replacing the tv. Especially given the current prices of tv's these days.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I do understand that finding out your tv needs expensive repairs is not pleasant but at least now you can make the most of your situation without high repair costs and long wait times. You saved a lot of time and money by coming here first.

Unless there is something else you can think of, please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page before you go.