Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a LG LCD TV model 42lg50 mfd 2/2008. The screen

Customer Question

I have a LG LCD TV model 42lg50 mfd 2/2008. The screen quality suddenly dropped dramatically and shows visible vertical lines. I have checked the cablessings input and the netgear input both show the same thing. Is it possible to repair this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

Vertical lines problem occurs due to either t-con board or display panel (the screen) internal circuitry failure, t-con board provides video data to screen and internal circuit of screen makes an image/ picture. Swapping the t-con board is only option to verify if it is screen/ display panel internal problem or not.

Replacement t-con board (identical one) would be available at following supplier if you have plan to do-it-yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42LG50

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective t-con board/ display panel replacement to resolve the issue, however, display panel replacement may cost more than new TV price of same size if LG still has replacement screen. I would recommend to invest the repair money on new TV instead of spending on 8 years old TV. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.