Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Sound Problem on TV model 32A43. Sound is fine (more than

Customer Question

Sound Problem on TV model 32A43. Sound is fine (more than ample volume) working to connect with Netflix over Wowway Internet through a Sony network media player SMP N200 and with signal also coming through Sony DVD Player, Video Casset Recorder SLV-D380P.
However, when we go back to watching regular cable TV, the sound volume is very weak, even when turned up all the way to 100 on either or both the set or remote volume controls. The variance was always an issue but previously, it could be corrected by compensating on the settings. After a technician adjusted the set to deal with an inability to secure signal on channel 41, the problem has gotten much worse and can no longer be corrected to achieve satisfactory volume.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) How is the set connected to "cable" specifically? Is there a Wowway Cable "Box" connected to the TV please?

2) If so, what type of connection is used from the cable box to the TV (HDMI, component video, etc.)?

3) Also if using a cable box, have you tried raising the volume on the box itself? Additionally, have you tried rebooting the box by pulling it's power cord for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a digital converter on the TV. There is a cable connection to the Wowway box. I don't know how to adjust volume on the box. Again, we used to be able to turn up the volume setting on the TV and then adjust the volume on the remote. Only when settings on the TV were changed (and we were given a new remote) were we no longer able to compensate for the differential volume between Internet resources and cable TV volume.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Try rebooting the cable box by unplugging it for 10 seconds and plugging it back in- let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No difference.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

What remote are you using- the cable remote or the TV remote? Or better yet, which remote was it you're using before when you could turn the TV up and then adjust with the cable remote?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We were using remotes supplied by Wowway. They provided the updated remote.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have not used the remote that came with the TV since the digital conversion.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Before, the volume button on the TV and that on the remote worked independently. We could use one to leverage the other. Now they make the same exact changes.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , different tech. here
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you see the previous information? Is there anything else you need to know?
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Yes i can see the previous info but i don`t have the same questions as Aric

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, shoot.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Now when you press the volume on the cable box remote , which volume goes up/down , is it the tv`s volume or cable box volume ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

You should be able to tell by the on screen volume bar , they would be different looking

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see the same 0 to 100 indicator on screen.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Yes but does it belong to the tv or cable box that 0 to 100 ??

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Is it the tv` s 0 to 100 or cable box`s

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

go to the tv and press the volume buttons directly on it , is it the same volume bar ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to answer this question. Both the button on the TV and the remote give me the same volume bar on the tv screen, whether I am watching Cable TV or Netflix/Amazon.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Thats o.k you just answered , that remote is now programmed to operate the tv`s volume , thats why you get the same thing no matter which volume you use

Now it doesn`t operate the cable box volume any longer

It is the same cable box you had previously yes , they didn`t change it ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No change on the box. He did not go into that room.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Woway is your cable company or is that only internet ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wowway for phone/tv/internet.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Do you have cable like cable tv or only internet ?

How do you mean he didn`t go into that room , i`m talking about the cable box that changes the channels so he had to be in the same room if he played with that and replaced the remote you said ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Is there a name or model number on that cable box AND remote ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
By cable box are you talking about the box where all the connections come in, forget what the term is, or should there be a separate box at the TV?
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

How do you change channels ?

With the cable box remote , yes ?

Where do you point that remote , at the cable box

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. let me trace that bubble back to a box and reboot that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rebooted that box. The two controls still do the same thing. One does not leverage the other. "100" is still not adequate volume.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Never asked for a reboot , that was aric , i asked for the cable box remote number or cable box itself

I`m sorry but I will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did not see Jack's Question re numbers. The cable box is Dolby Digital 2002U. The only information on the remote is the WOW! trademark and a date inside: 2015/01/15
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

I`m back around if you would like to resume and i believe i have something for you but i will wait until you reply