Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Samsung 8 series led tv, when it heats up a little the top

Customer Question

samsung 8 series led tv, when it heats up a little the top half goes fuzzy
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Matt.

Could you give me the full model number of the tv, please?
Does this happen on all inputs/sources?
Does it also affect the samsung menu screens?
Does it improve eventually, or only after powering off and cooling down?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the top half goes cloudy after a few minutes
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: ill send you through a picture
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none as of yet
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: how can i send you a picture
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that information, can you please send me the above requested info as well? You can also upload a photo with the paperclip/attach icon.

Does this happen on all inputs/sources?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ua55d8000
affect all scenes including menu
only goes away if you turn tv off and cool down but coming back pretty quick when used again
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

that can be a hardware issue (thermal fault, bad solder joints, etc), or it can simply be from contamination that is causing over heating.
Vacuum off all the external vent holes, and blow it out as best you can with compressed air. If you are up for it, removing the back cover would facilitate this more easily (carefully, power unplugged, no hdmi connected).

If no change, we'll address hardware issues next.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just took back off, no dust, but gave it good blow out anyhow
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
R u there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes I'm here, your replies have just come through.

I'm seeing a pink stripe on the left side of the tv, is that always there, or was it just that particular show/image?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, it is there sometimes but not alway, depends on what is on the tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Both issues are pointing to a faulty tcon board as the primary suspect here, though it could be the main as well.

Is this something you are looking to repair yourself?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm pretty handy.. what do i do? as i said, i only happens after a few minutes of being turned on..
so I'm guessing something is getting hot!
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes it is a thermal fault, but the underlying circuit board would need to be replaced.

If comfortable doing that yourself and the part can be found it may be worth it.

If not, based on the age of the tv, it isn't worth fixing - you could buy a new one for less than the cost of repairs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you advise on which part to buy? it a great tv thats all!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes searching for it now

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I'm having trouble finding anything, probably because you're in AU.

Can you take the back panel off, and look at the board at the top in the middle, that is the one we're looking for. It should have a board number marked on it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there are three, a small on in the middle at the bottom, a large one on the top right and a medium on the left
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
whats your email address and ill send you a photo of back
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

We can't do email, but you can attach here same as you did before.

The main board is the one with the input ports

power board is the one with teh power cord

and the remaining one is the tcon

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
gotcha, which one do you need?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the tcon right?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

the tcon

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
here is pic
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes it is the one in the middle, but I need a closeup of that board please to see the markings on it so I can get a part number, then hopefully find a part source.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hows this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my tv is 55 inch.. will that matter?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

No it should not matter, we are matching actual part numbers, I saw S240LABMB3V0 on your bard, correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i change over..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i just looked at TV and it is back to being perfect again... Does that explain anything?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Only that it is an intermittent fault, and with having the back off it can probably breath a bit better and keep cool.

The old board comes out with a few screws and wiring harnesses, it doesn't need any soldering, it is a plug and play part.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok.. ill order and contact you when received..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nathan,Have changed the Tcon, it is now worse. right side of screen now content vertical banding for 6 inches. and old problem comes straight away now....
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

When you got the board, was it from ebay and did you confirm with the seller that it was for the 55"?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was the one which you recommended and it did say it was for a 42 inch but you said the part number was the same as the one i already had..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Well if the part number matched exactly, it should be fine, but the listing does specify that the seller had ones pulled from both sizes; to rule out the possibility of a difference (even though the part numbers look to be the same) I'd contact the seller to see if you can exchange it for the other, which will also help as a verification step just in case this board is faulty by chance. If still no change after that, then this is looking more like a panel fault.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How about you contact the seller, your the one that told me to buy that one, i quizzed you about the size and you said it would make no difference as it was the same part number..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I said it would not matter if the part number was an exact match. I don't have your board in front of me to verify those, and the listing gives options to choose either.

If there is a different prefix/suffix accounting for the size, then that is what is to be used.

I cannot contact the seller.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Since he has multiple items listed, I would not expect any difficulty in exchanging it, which is a worthwhile step even if it were the exact match up front, simply to isolate the possibility of the new board having a fault of its own.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let me get this right, you tell me buy the part,... i buy the part.. it makes it worse and now your brushing you hands of it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
eBay
Hi Great - Your order has shipped to The Golf Boutique.Original T-Con Board Samsung S240LABMB3V0.7 BN41-01663 BN41-01663A For 46'' TV
Estimated delivery : Thu. 25 Aug. - Wed. 31 Aug.
Tracking Number : LX122488945CN
Postage service : USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box
Item # : 262152303911
Transaction ID : 1867383698016
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it says its for a 46inch?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

No, I'm not brushing my hands of it, I'm telling you that in the listing he gives an option for another size as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That was only just put up!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean, but please remember this is a diagnostic process as well, and the tcon is not even the only possibility, just the most likely failure point. If one board doesn't work, we move on to testing another.