Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Sony Bravia HD TV Model # KDL-40S5100 that suddenly

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia HD TV Model # KDL-40S5100 that suddenly won't turn on. It's attached to my Verizon Fios System and worked perfectly last night.. I switched TV's and the other Bravia works.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-What is the power LED on the front of the tv doing? on Red? on Green? blinking Red? dead?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Green then standby then goes off
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Appears the site sent you an automatic pop up for phone call service. This was not sent by me, and I am not available by phone. In the mean time we can continue our chat...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok keep chatting online
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

So you plug in the tv power cord, the LED is solid red.

Then it turns solid green when it tries to come on.

Then the LED switches back to solid red? or is it blinking red?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just plugged it in the the wall , not connected to the cable box. It went on for a few seconds then went off
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

When you say "then went off"... what exactly is the power LED doing? back to solid red? blinking red? or no led?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No led
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

In your own words, describe your level of experience with electronics? Are you "technically challenged"? or a "savvy remote control user"? or you have installed/replaced components in PC's? or maybe you can test voltages, current, resistance, and surface mount solder on circuit boards?

Because at this point the tv needs parts and service. If you do not have the skills and tools then having it repaired by a local shop will end up costing more than a new 40" tv. Just an in home diagnosis is usually $100 or more up front.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

And with these symptoms, DIY diagnosis is going to be very complex. Usually there is a shut down error code (blinking LED pattern). Which you do not have for some reason. That means we do not have a starting point to begin diagnosis like when there is an error code....

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

In my opinion, you are better off replacing the tv. Especially given the current prices of tv's these days.

I do understand that finding out your tv needs expensive repairs is not pleasant but at least now you can make the most of your situation without high repair costs and long wait times.

I'm sorry for the bad news, before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page.

Thanks