Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am trying to use an antenna with my old Sony tv because

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to use an antenna with my old Sony tv because Direct TV has NBC blacked out and I want to watch the Olympics. How do I do a channel scan?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sony Trinitron model number KD-27FSi70. Not sure of the age but I would say about 10 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've gone to the menu to channel setup and tried through there
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) Please double check that model number as it's one or possibly two digits off.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
KD- 27FS170
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you- taking a look now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you- taking a look now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it really a $26.00 charge to solve this?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. You paid the site a deposit to post your question- nothing I am privy to or have any control over.

You said you tried to go to the menu to "channel setup" and tried through there. How far exactly did you get and where did you get stuck please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is nowhere to scan the channels
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is, it's in the Digital MENU outlined on page 30 of the owner's manual at the link below and it shows you how to scan for "Digital Channels" (which is what you need to use when using an antenna):

https://docs.sony.com/release/kd27fs170.pdf

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Specifically you enter the Digital MENU----->Digital Channels---->Auto Scan and then press OK.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no option to scan when I get to the digital menu
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Are you looking in the manual page that I referred to? It shows you exactly how to get there?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Refer to page 30 and review that page, or are you saying your TV does not have the same MENU?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It says no digital channels found
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay that means your antenna is not pulling in any stations. That can be due to the antenna simply not being strong enough to pull in local stations, the area you're in not having good coverage/proximity to the towers, or the digital tuner in the TV having failed. Have you checked the antenna locator site to see if you are even in a good location to use a digital antenna yet? If not, please review the link below and check. Let me know what you find:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got a blank page
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Appears they're down right now. Please give me a minute to locate another site that does the same thing.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

The site below is the FCC site. Please check it and also see they recommend an above ground, rooftop mounted antenna for best results:

https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It says I have a strong signal
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay then this either means you have a weak/lesser cost antenna, that is not in a good location, or you have a failed TV tuner. There are antennas from $10 up to $400- and I have no way of knowing what antenna you have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's an RCA amplified indoor antenna
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

They make several- and generally are not viewed as being decent quality in the field. Here's the thing, if you're confident it's not the antenna causing the issue- then this means your TV's tuner is faulty, and as a workaround- to get this running, you will need to purchase an external DTV converter box to connect the antenna to and then connect the box to the TV's AV Input jacks. Best Buy sells those for around $50 and they are also available at the link below:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1009262&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhQSqA9AOfosavCwXs229K5vwCsO2eb-nhV7f20zDHxQaAsRR8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&Q=&A=details

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.