Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Toshiba Model 52HM84. It has sound for a few

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Model 52HM84. It has sound for a few seconds but no picture. It keeps trying to restart.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just started today.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing so far.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I replace the lamp once about 4 years ago. I bought the TV new in 2005. I rarely watch TV but my grandson just left after a three week visit and it was on a lot!
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I just told you. I bought it in 2005. It says 2004 on the back. It is a Toshiba Model 52HM84
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) When was the last time you replaced the Lamp in the set?

2) Also after the set tries to fire up repeatedly and shut down- are there any blinking LED's on the front of the set?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the lamp in 2010 or 2011. There is a blinking green light on the front lower corner along with a steady red light. Then it shuts off. The red light comes back on with sound, then the green blinking light and some clicking sounds, again shuts down and repeats.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

The set has a replaceable Lamp, that when fails- causes the set to try to cycle repeatedly in an attempt to spark the lamp. This is by design and when the lamp fails- the set cycles, and ultimately shuts down. These symptoms directly point to a faulty lamp and the lamp needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

4-5 years is a good run for these lamps, and about all you can expect out of them before needing replacement, so these symptoms are normal. The lamp should be replaced with the correct OEM lamp available at the link below for your set:

http://www.purelandsupply.com/52hm84-toshiba-dlp-tv-lamps.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwuJu9BRDP_-HN9eXs1_UBEiQAlfW39tdLZgZRwDZAb8cTr_Yi0v2XclourgbE8NBmV0gAb9kaAtcA8P8HAQ

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?