Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a 73" mitsubishi TV model WD73C8, serial 100759. It

Customer Question

I have a 73" mitsubishi TV model WD73C8, serial 100759. It was working fine, except for the "white dots". I replaced the DLP chip/DMD IC, part #276P595010.
But now it will not power on. I manually tried the power button, tried the reset button, unplugged the set for more than 24hrs.
Nothing worked, the "status light stays on solid red".
So I took the back off again and noticed a "small flat copper looking wire" that has a small crack on it.
Could this be the problem?? The # on the wire is: KYO 85ABBA, and the paper taped to the wire with the scanner # is: B709K85270870. (as soon as you take the back off the TV, this wire is front and center)
If this is what I need, where can I purchase it and how much??
Please help me, I miss my TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am not sure from your description, that the 'wire' is the problem.

Can you post us a picture of it, perhaps, including in the field of view, its position in the TV's interior parts and workings?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's the photo of the KYO wire.

Thanks for the photo. I'll be examining it now...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please research and let me know. I need to leave, I will be back later. Thank you.

OK. At a glance, that's a ribbon connector.

I do not see any cracks on it. I presume the crack or cracks is/are not in this view from this angle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is correct. What does the ribbon connector do? Does it have anything to do with the on/off power supply?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Almost anything could have something to do with the failure to power-up and initialize.

Check, especially, if you replaced a chip on one board, anything to do with that board (which presumably was dismounted and removed for the replacing, which dismounting would include its connectors.

Those might all be re-seated carefully and with attention to detail, to make sure all is correct in that respect.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took it apart & rechecked it. All appears fine, except the flat ribbon wire. Can you locate where they sell that wire? And I will purchase & try that.

I presume the ribbon cable got crimped into a severe bend at some point, and that broke it.

I have no way of identifying it. It's 'a ribbon cable'... how do you identify that?

A service manual for the TV model or model line you have, would identify it. Would you be interested in obtaining one? they usually cost some little $, such as about $18.00.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aren't you able to identify it from the numbers on it? The # on the wire is: KYO 85ABBA, and the paper taped to the wire with the scanner # is: B709K85270870.

KO 85ABBA isn't identifiable, owing to its reference to a Swedish rock group.

I'll try the other number, thanks. Probably a serial # though...

Nothing. It's a serial #.

KYO might stand for Kyocera... or Kyoto [anything] but 85ABBA just isn't enough. A service manual shows, lists, and has part #s for everything, most usually.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As a TV repair Tech, don't you have different manuals at your disposal to repair TVs?

(Sorry, this cantankerous system erased my answer just before I posted it. Please wait a bit longer...)

I have no service/repair manual for your particular model line.

They don't cross too many models each.

They yield of your case - even if I was paid successfully and in full for it - would not justify my investment in that one manual.

And there would be about $800 to $1,000 worth of manuals I would need to buy, to cover everything possible and likely in the way of model lines (they don't cross model lines much, not usefully at all.)

So, I can recommend a source for one to you. It might even turn out to be free, though that's rare enough.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what you are telling me is, your'e not able to help me.

Would you like a chance at getting info. from a service manual for your precise line of TV, with part #s and illustrations and troubleshooting guides ?

It can identify your ribbon cable with a part #... and without that part # you have little chance of replacing that part, aside from taking it to a shop.

It can help with the whole overall job of getting the complex system of your TV working again - without your spending money on parts, over and over again, on the off chance a part will be the fix.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please send me info.

I have good news for you, this is one of the few models for which service manuals can be obtained free of charge.

From this webpage specifically:

http://elektrotanya.com/mitsubishi_v39_wd60735_wd65735_wd73735_wd65736_wd73736_wd65835_wd73835_wd60c8_wd65c8_wd73c8_sm.pdf/download.html

where you have to use a specific technique to get the manual, free:

open that page then

wait for at least 45 seconds

and then after that tiem, scroll down to below the Preview image of the file,

and look for a link like this:

Get Manual

and click on that link, and only that link.

This link will not appear before the 45 seconds is up, so you have to wait to see it.

All other links on the page are junk, don't bother with them. The 'Get Manual' link is the one that actually provides the service manual - free of charge.

If you need help locating the part # for your ribbon cable there, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It must be me, because I can not get any manuals on that site to open up or download.
Any advise on what I'm doing wrong? I'm so exasperated!!

Simple.

Load the page.

Wait a full 60-second minute.

Then scroll down and look, just below the preview image of the front page of the manual, for a

Get Manual

link that will be very obscure.

What browser are you using, please?