Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

How do I set up headphones to my Samsung 55" curved screen

Customer Question

How do I set up headphones to my Samsung 55" curved screen 9500 series tv with the connect one box? I purchased a digital optical audio cable and a optical coaxial digital connector box. No sound is heard. Help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) Right now is there sound from the TV speakers? Have you gone into the MENU to shut them off?

2) Please elaborate as there are many: ptical coaxial digital connector box, what is the brand and model of that box?

3) What headphones do you have- are they wired or wireless?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is sound from the tv speakers. The tv is for my mother who has had a stroke and can hear better through a head set. Best Buy sold me an insignia optical/coax digital to analog converter box and an insignia digital optical audio cable. I believe I hooked it up correctly to the one connect box on the tv but I get no sound. The headphones are Sony wireless MDR-RF985R
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, since you have sound coming from the TV speakers- this means you haven't enabled the optical output on the TV. You first need to go into the Samsung's MENU under audio/sound and select "optical" as the audio output. Please do that and then let me know if you have sound.

Also, you will not have control over the volume of the headphones in this method- the optical out is a "fixed" audio output- meaning it's volume cannot be changed.

Once those steps are done, please reply back.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

In the TV it's "Settings----->Sound----->Sound Output".

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did that. No sound from tv or headphones
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, then that converter that BB sold you, or the optical cable is faulty. Those settings enable the optical out on the TV so there is another problem. Let me ask you this- what "source" is it you're trying to get the sound from (in other words- Smart Hub APPS, cable box, SAT box, etc.)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cable box
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

How is the cable box connected to the TV- is it HDMI?

Also on the back of the box, do you see a set of red and white RCA audio jacks?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HDMI connection and there are Rica jacks on the box
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Please try connecting the headphone base directly to the cable box red and white jacks (remove the optical cable, converter and those connections first). Use the included red and white to stereo single plug that comes with the headphones. Let me know if you have sound.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I still get no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Where did you buy those headphones from? Are they brand new? Something is wrong.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are fairly new. Worked fine until we bought this new tv
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aric. My husband came home and we went through everything again and he got sound. Thanks for the try. Vicki
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Do you need more help with this Vicki? If so, there are a few settings we can adjust on the tv.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks but we finally got it working. Appreciate you getting back to me
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,