Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

What do I have to do to use my Tivo DVRs when Cable goes all

Customer Question

What do I have to do to use my Tivo DVRs when Cox Cable goes all digital in the fall. I now get Cox Primary (no box) and connect the wall coax to my Tivo and Tivo to TV. I have (2) series 2 Model TCD 649080 and (1) HD TV and (1) CRT TV. Cox has provided a Mini Box to connect directly to the TV but not thru Tivo. The Mini Box has coax in/out, HDMI out, IR plug, Chan 3/4 Switch, and remote. Only shows signal if Tivo and Mini and set to chan 3. Cannoit use Tivo remote.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Unfortunately your tivo system will not integrate well with the new cox systems. A box will be required, but the mini box usually isn't sufficient. You may be better off getting the full size box, and then you'll need to go into your tivo menu and program it to operate the new cable box, via an IR emitter that will sit in front of the box. This lets the tivo control the channels on the box. It will be limited to 1 program at a time.

Since you have older model equipment, you would probably be better off retiring the tivo at this point and just getting a DVR provided by cox. You'll get better picture quality and far more storage space, with everything consolidated into a single remote.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?