Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Wecan't connect the HD TV to the Direct Box, The TV is a

Customer Question

Wecan't connect the HD TV to the Direct Box
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: The TV is a Sony KDL32BR6. Have connected cable into the HDM1port on the back of the receiver and the other end of the cable into the HDM1 port of the TV. The power cord is plugged up to power source. Inserted the new access cars to the new box. Was able to reset the remote OK. A screen comes up that says "cannot detect SWM and don't know what SWM is.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Don't know what to do from here and need guidance.
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: What is "dish type" and what is switch type"
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Are you trying to set up a Dish network setup?

Or is it some other type of TV source?

The cannot detect SWM error message, is typical of a dish or satellite setup attempt, where nothing is being detected, either owing to incorrect options in the setup choices, or the selection of the wrong type of satellite dish, etc.

Is that more or less what you are trying to get working?