Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a sony Bravia kdl-46bx450 ser # 5049385 that when you

Customer Question

I have a sony Bravia kdl-46bx450 ser #(###) ###-####that when you plug it in and turn it on the word sony appears but it does nothing else,
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.

- Does power light on TV stay green or turns to flashing red after Sony logo goes out?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to check that hold on a second
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Sure, take your time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am sorry. im at work and have it here with me. it stays green and the word sony doesn't stay on long.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

OK, typing info for you, give me 5 minutes please to complete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

This kind of problem occurs due to corrupted firmware (TV internal software) and first step is to update firmware that needs firmware update file on USB memory stick that plugs into USB port of TV. Please go to following Sony link to download firmware update file (system software file) and copy it on USB memory stick as per instructions on that page.

Plug the USB memory stick in TV and turn the power On. Update should begin and you would notice flashing light on USB memory drive (if it has any), update process may take several minutes to finish..

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL46BX450&upd_id=7547&os_group_id=18

If problem still persist then you would need to replace main board of TV to resolve the problem because firmware can go bad due to EEPROM chip failure as well which is mounted on main board. Please check with following board supplier to get replacement main board if you have plan to do-it-yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=KDL-46BX450

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You,
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the download page gives me instructions to go to the home page and arrow down to this and that on the tv screen, I can not do that because the screen is black
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Plug the USB memory stick in TV and turn the power On. Update should begin and you would notice flashing light on USB memory drive (if it has any),

I already mentioned that simply plug the USB memory drive into TV after copying update file on it and update will begin itself.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess this is not working then
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Lets try again. Copy the upgrade file on USB as per Sony instructions, unplug TV power from wall outlet, plug the USB memory drive in TV and replug TV power cord, press Power button on TV to turn it On.

After Sony logo screen firmware update should start automatically, you wont need to navigate into menu to do so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I followed your steps, I am not sure if it is working because I do not have a light on my thumb drive.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Does the following happen on TV..

During the update the POWER indicator will be green for 10 seconds, followed by the STANDBY indicator coming on, and then the PIC OFF/TIMER indicator slowly blinking orange. After several minutes, the firmware update will finish and the TV will automatically turn on to complete the update.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing like this happens.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I ordered the main board and will try it I guess.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked the downloaded file size as per Sony instructions?

File size should be "30.1 MB (31,606,779 bytes)". If the file size is different than the "31,606,779 bytes", please download thesony_tvupdate_2012_2007_usf_auth.zip file again. Extract/ unzip the downloaded file, a new folder will be created called "sony_tvupdate_2012_2007_usf_auth".

Transfer the update file to the USB storage device by going to the download location and opening the folder that was created, right-click the sony_fw_2012_2007_usf.pkg file and, from the menu, click "Send To...", and then click the drive (EX: Removable Disk E:) that represents your USB device. The update file will be copied onto your USB device.
Note: The update will not be performed if the file is not copied to the root directory of the USB device or if the name of the file is modified.