Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

It will not turn on, it's a westinghouse led tv, unplugged

Customer Question

it will not turn on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: it's a westinghouse led tv
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: unplugged and plugged in. turned on from tv and not from the remote
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no I never had that problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you give me the complete model number of the tv, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Yes, but please give me a few moments to respond.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These westinghouse tvs are among the lowest quality tvs made, it is normal and expected for them to last only a few years at most.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, for under $200.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks Im all set