Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a 10+ yr-old 42 inch Panasonic TV Model No.

Customer Question

I have a 10+ yr-old 42 inch Panasonic TV Model No. TH-42PX50U, Mfd Sept 2005, Serial No. YP5523987, which has given excellent service, in spite of having a roof-placed antique antenna. When the only VHF station we can get suddenly quit for no apparent reason, I blamed the problem on our antenna and installed on the roof top a new DB8e antenna with a VHF retro fit. The UHF pictures for all stations are greatly improved, but all VHF stations are blank. We have been particularly careful in checking all the wiring in our antenna set-up. What do you think is our problem? I now suspect the TV. Also I was unable to rescan for the stations, the TV would not respond via the remote.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

I`ll start by saying that no matter the age of the antenna , if it is in good shape it will receive signals just as wel as so called "digital antennas "

You are saying that you used to get only one VHF channel ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Did the antenna position change ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

It could very well be your antenna that went defective on the VHF part of it but it could very well be your TV's tuner as well in which case I could suggest an external tuner .

You don`t happen to have another tv that you could try on that antenna do you ?